Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Smell of Paint is in the Air!

Had to stop by the school today. During my recent trip to The States I lost my passport and had to go through horrible hoops to get an emergency replacement so I could travel back to Ecuador. Now here in Ecuador, most of my paperwork for the bank, my teaching position and my visa is in the old passport so I have been running around getting things updated, and today my first stop was Colegio Americano. Stupid me, I accidentally brought my WIFE's passport, not mine, so it was a wasted trip and I'll have to go back again tomorrow.

However, in South America school is getting ready to start a new year - the vacation goes from February to March, unlike North America where it typically goes June-July - and the maintenance crew is going whole hog. Lockers are getting sanded, repaired and painted. New signs are up. Doors are getting a fresh coat of paint and it appears that the exteriors of the classrooms are going to have a fresh coat slapped on. March 23rd teachers are back and April 1 students return. What a wonderful April Fool's Day!

After that I did some shopping, then headed over to my wife's school, InterAmerican Academy. They are a true international school operating on the North American schedule so they are just closing out their 3rd quarter. They had got together a teacher's vs. the school's basketball team and they needed a few extra bodies. Of course, I was the oldest and least in shape of everyone on the court but I had fun and got through it without lasting injury. (InterAmerican Academy Sharks 38, Guests 26).

Then it was home to work on an online class I am taking on phonics reading instruction. Next week my wife is asking me in to teach a seminar to some of her classes on research for research papers. Hey! I'm supposed to be on vacation!

No comments: