Friday, March 6, 2009

Running Around

Friday and I needed to get around and get a few things done. One of the great things about living overseas is that many places have much better transportation options than you typically have in the United States. Of course, "better" does depend on your point of view! If your idea of good is clean, quiet and comfortable, maybe not so much. Cheap and convenient? Then definitely so!

I left home around 2pm and walked the three short blocks to the bus stop (known as a parada here) and caught Linea 54 which goes to right in front of my school. I flagged down an ancient bus painted blue and white and paid my $0.25. The bus is grimy, noisy, with plastic seats that are filled. I am one of about a dozen that are standing as we huff down the road, driver laying on the horn at every opportunity. Fifteen minutes later I slither through the mass in the aisle and hop out of the bus. At Colegio Americano I drop of some documents to the HR department.

Then I’m back out to the street to hail a passing cab. It is an old Lada, about 18 years old and you can only open the passenger door from the inside. It is a fairly quick trip to Mall del Sol, a fairly modern, Western-style enclosed mall. The trip in the taxi costs $2.50. I do our weekly shopping at MegaMaxi – kind of an Ecuadorian equivalent of a SuperWalmart. Shop, and then grab another taxi home at another $3.00.

When school is in, my work provides an expreso which offers free rides to and from work. For most employees in Ecuador, where the minimum wage runs about $175 a month, this is an important benefit. Imagine working for $175 a month and you had to spend $25 on getting around?

Tomorrow I get to spend more time at Lisa’s school, they are having an international culture day and her 8th Graders are responsible for something or other. I’m coming along to lend whatever support and heavy lifting I can.

No comments: