Sunday, March 15, 2009

Barefoot Gringo

What fun. Lisa doesn't like to grade at home, because there are generally too many distractions for her to concentrate. So she heads out and asks me to check on our parakeet we keep on the front porch. No problem. She heads off and I see the bird's perch is askew. I spend some time straightening it, doing feed, and making the little girl comfortable. Then I turn to go in and see the front door is locked closed.

I am in my shorts, no shirt, no shoes, no keys, no cell. Lisa has just gone off to spend several hours grading.

Oh joy.

Nothing to it but to walk barefooted across the sizzling pavement (the equatorial sun is just blazing today) for three blocks, cross the main street of Victor Emilio Estrada to the little shopping center where Lisa normally goes to grade. First little restaurant, not there. I see her at the second place, through the window, but the guard at the door is not going to let a bare-footed, bare-chested guy come waltzing into the place. but I call out and Lisa hears me. She quickly sizes the situation up. She has a massive grin and says joyfully "I bet I know what happened!" as she dangles her keys in front of me.

So much fun, living in Ecuador, don't you think?

No comments: