Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Racism in China - International Teaching

Just felt I had to share this as an example of where the world is despite all mankind has gone through. I am an international teacher and I am in the season of checking out overseas teaching positions to see if there is one I want to land in. My wife and I have been considering Asia for our next adventure.

I researched my way around to the largest teacher job site for China and nosed around. Over 2,700 positions available for foreign teachers. All right! Looks good. I opened up a number of listings and was astonished to see the same thing listed on each job posting as part of the minimum qualifications:

Whites only.

I checked to see if it was something I was misinterpreting and it turns out I wasn't. If you are Black, Creole or anything other than lilly-white English speaker the People's Republic of China does not want you teaching their children.

I know there is racism in America. We still have a long ways to go to be the society we ought to be. But I live and work in the Third World, and there is a constant reminder of how good we really have it in America.

No comments: