Friday, May 15, 2009

Swine Flu is Here!

Well, for those not knowing the breaking news, Swine Flu (excuse me, Infuenza virus H1N1) has hit Guayaquil, Ecuador - AT MY SCHOOL!

Yes, a young 13-year-old child who just returned from a trip to Miami on Sunday, and attended school on Monday for only 2-3 hours before going home sick, has been announced as Ecuador's first confirmed case. Our school was one of the first to know, due to the phalanx of department of health workers who descended on our school with no warning about 9:30 this morning. After a great deal of confusion, the student's classmates in Segundo Curso (equivalent of 8th Grade in the US system) were trotted off to the infirmary for a checkup - and a second student was quarantined for "suspicious symptoms" - school is canceled for eight days - until May 25th at least.

As for me, I am sternly cautioned to remain at home, avoid public areas and especially around crowded areas, maintain a high personal hygiene and take lots of Vitamin C. If a start to show any symptoms, I must immediately contact the department of health.

As my good buddy Justin is probably saying - Oh, Joy.

I think I'm feeling a bit feverish.

No comments: